Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Not the American Bittern Post... finally.

Looks like I haven't posted in a while (sorry, Mom!) but now I am, so you can look at something other than the American Bittern!! I think the reason I stayed away from my blog for so long was that I was up against the daunting task of re-naming it. No more Katimavik = no more Katima-quat!? - because that just wouldn't make any sense. So I opted for naming it after one of my favourite quotes: "I know nothing with any certainty, but the night of stars makes me dream." by Vincent Van Gogh. 'Night of Stars' may not have anything to do with the topics of my blog, but I think that the beauty of the stars in a clear night sky is one of the most beautiful gifts we have. The quote itself is a reminder that we may not always be sure of what we're doing on earth, but regardless, to always take time out to enjoy the beautiful earth around us, and it will provide inspiration and calm, even if life is getting confusing.

So. To the point. Katimavik ended about 3 weeks ago, and I am now back at home, back at school, back at regular life - back in the real world. I even got my old job back - a job that pays actual money!!! How strange.

I can't, and possibly will never, get over how strange and wonderful the past year has been for me. I had the time of my life on that trip, and like I said a few posts ago, Katimavik is just like a whole other world. I got to experience something so different and awesome and I learned a lot about myself, Canada and my identity as a Canadian. I miss the whole Katima-lifestyle a lot - small towns where everyone's taking it easy, small house with lots of people, the tight group of friends that does everything together, volunteer working full-time at a non-profit society, spending entire evenings just sitting outside under blankets talking, random fun with whatever crazy costumes we can find, everything we hear or say being repeated to cover both languages, walks at night along the beach to see the sunset, volunteering on weekends, throwing 'Katima' as a prefix onto any and every word, '48 hours off', always meeting new people, being known around town as 'Katimavik'. There is so much about the program that was different from life at home, and I'm so glad I got to experience it all.

Then again, as much as I miss Katimavik and my friends from the trip, I am also happy to be back home. I'm happy to be back at school and learning things again. I'm happy to be back in Kamloops scorching weather (or at least, it was for a bit after I got back). I forgot how beautiful Kamloops is, and since I got back there hasn't been a day where I looked at the mountains and didn't have my breath taken away. I had forgotten how majestic even Kamloops' small mountains are - or maybe I had just never actually realized it.
It's really good to be able to hang out with my friends and family again. I missed them so much, and I can't believe how lucky I am to know such awesome groups of people. Also, I was lucky enough to be here when my BRAND NEW NIECE, Susannah Marie Margaret deVries was born, a week ago. (Thanks for waiting for me, Suz!) She is so beautiful, and so lucky to be born into that family. Elizabeth and Justin love being parents so much, and I'm pretty sure Hunter loooves being a brand new big brother! I'll post pictures soon, but for now I've got to rush off to class!! (Yep... life is definitely back to normal.)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah - no more American Bittern. I think I had that post memorized!!! It is great to have you home, Amanda. Just like you sometimes can't believe that you are home where the hills around Kamloops are so beautiful, I often can't believe that I have my beautiful, funny, interested daughter home with me! It's just so nice to be able to talk to you whenever and to get one of your superb hugs! It's also pretty cool that you are going to be involved with the Katimavik group in Kamloops, too! They're really lucky to have your input.
Thanks for being so great! Love, Mom

Anonymous said...

Sooo does this mean I should actually start checking your blog again????
Good one sissy - so happy to have you home too.
Miss you terd. Give Momma and Poppa a hug for me. :)