Saturday, April 19, 2008

The eternal vibration of awareness..

"The sacred symbol OM is found throughout India not only in temples, but also on walls, trucks and doors reminding those who see it all is One Consciousness.
Om is the eternal Existence, Consciousness and Bliss. This entire universe, including our body, mind and senses, is its manifestation, extension and expansion. Past, present and future all are nothing but OM. This was true in the past, it is true in the present and will be true in the future. And whatever else exists beyond the three divisions of time, that also is indeed OM. What is the essence of OM? It is the eternal vibration of awareness."
That is what was written on a poster in the studio where I was dancing last night. Damarise and I decided to go to a full-moon global dance party that they were holding at Let's Move yoga and dance studio. It was a pretty fantastic experience. We got to the studio and were immediately welcomed with open arms. We began the night with everyone holding hands in a circle, while one girl sang a short song of thanks, basically for the chance to be here on this earth and have the ability to dance. The night started with a 30-minute instructor-led warm-up. We learned some Banghra (East Indian hip-hop), African dance, and then Tribal Fusion bellydance. Needless to say, these are all really neat and fun dance forms. All of the movements were so honest and beautiful. After the lesson, the music was turned up, the mirrors were covered, and everyone let loose. All kinds of people were there and you could just feel all the joy and energy being shared by every person in the room. Now, I wasn't raised Hindu or Buddhist, but in a place and situation like that, it was easy to fully understand the truth in what I had read earlier on the poster, and also relate my past experiences to this one.
Dancing of all kinds has always been a favourite hobby of mine, and I have been noticing more than ever lately - and especially since my ankle is healed enough for me to be active - the strength of the urge to dance, in any way I want, and whether there is music or not. It's just something our souls want our bodies to do! I think this is why I liked the term 'vibrations of awareness' so much - it seems like the perfect explanation for dancing. Every person has their own unique vibrations inside them, and those vibrations show themselves in the way that we act or move our bodies. This makes the idea of 'om' really interesting to me, and as far as the universe goes, I think our 'body, mind and senses' really are its 'manifestation, extension and expansion'... and what an absolute joy it is to be able to express the music of our souls through the movement of our bodies. In other words... I. love. dancing.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I miss you. Come dance with me here!!!

Bloggy Mama said...

Yay. Glad you had fun - that sounds like a good time. How come Heather posts on all your posts but barely any of mine?

Anonymous said...

Wow! That's so cool. I wish I could have been there!