Me. I'm lucky. Sooo lucky. Not only did I get a visit from my awesome Mom over Easter weekend, but she also completely surprised me and brought my brother!!! Yep, I got to see 2 members of my family. It was totally sweet, and the only way it could have been better was if it could have been a longer visit (and if I didn't get the flu... but oh well). We had extra beds in our house so they got to stay with us (yess maximum time spent together!) We had an Easter egg hunt, a trip to Marathon (just me and my Mom and Matty), I got to show them around this little town of White River and take them to the gym. It was really cool that they brought a sushi kit and taught my whole group how to make sushi, and my mom taught us a salsa dance lesson and - get this - also made us a turkey dinner!!!! Mmmm, delicious, and it totally reminded me of home. And obviously, the rest of my group appreciated having them in the house too! I wish I hadn't gotten the flu, but other than that it was an awesome weekend.
Early Monday morning they left White River to return to Kamloops, which I was against all along but they did it anyway.. I guess my Dad needs his wife and son back.
So then I guess things were just back to normal after that. One thing that is driving me totally nuts is the amount of snow that's still here. In most places we still have a foot and a half or so of snow. It's crazy!!! And as I write this, it is -1 (pretty warm compared to usual) and the snow is still coming down. There's been constant light snowfall for the past three days. We put a positive swing on it on Monday and yesterday by going for a couple of snowboarding trips, but most of the time I just feel like I'm trapped in winter and it'll never go away. It's a good experience though, I've never ever experienced a winter this long, and I just know everyone in Kamloops is enjoying the warmth of spring right now. Just hearing about my friends in Kamloops planning a camping trip for today made me feel like I'm living in an alternate universe. So weird. Feel free to send me pictures of the spring, for those of you who are living in the real world! But when things like this are out of your control, I guess you just have to deal with it and look on the bright side. I'm trying, really.
So anyway, as a general update, things are going pretty well around here. The sickness is kind of going around and hitting everyone in the house, so it's been a bunch of lazy days for a few in the group. Work is going well and even though the numbers are low, with the mill shutting down and parents losing their jobs and moving away, the kids are still awesome. They deal well with being the only one in daycare for a morning or one of only two kids under our care. Of course, kids can always find ways to stay entertained. Strangest of all, they bundle up with full boots, mitts, toque and suit to go outside every day and don't seem to notice that the winter is lasting foooreeeverrrr. Those kids could teach me a lesson.
...Totally off-topic... I just noticed it's Friday the 13th and I made a post all about being Lucky... Irony is a tricky thing. Happy Friday the 13th everyone!
Friday, April 13, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Umm what about me needing them home, too?? I need you... August 29th will just have to do, though.
Amanda, it was sooo fun to visit you! I've been telling everyone about all the snow and the temperatures. I really enjoyed my trip back into winter - but of course, I was able to return to spring! Thanks, again, for being such a wonderful daughter. I'm so glad that you all enjoyed the sushi, salsa and turkey (I couldn't think of an s-word that would work for turkey!) Love you so much and miss you more than ever! Take care of yourself and all your friends. It's so fun to know them now! Love, Mom (from whom all good things...)
Post a Comment