Right, so I posted that last one and then realized I guess I have other stuff to say too. We've been in White River for over a month now and I bet
everyone who reads my blog (aka, my family, and I guess a few other people every once in a while) is just
dying to hear about everything that goes on in this town. That's kind of funny I guess, because not much goes on here at all. But it is still a pretty cool place and I've got a few things to say. We just finished our two weeks of billeting last night and I had a pretty dang good time. I didn't really want to come back to the Katimavik house. True to the nature of small towns, my billet family (by the name of the Godins) were incredibly welcoming and took me in with open arms to their home. It is really good to get to know people in town. They have a son who is 21 and lives at home, so I got to know some young people too. Mainly what people do around here in the winter is burn around in their big trucks and ski-doos, and go ice fishing in the billions of little lakes and bays all around the area. So when I was billeting I got to do all those things! I went ice fishing twice and it was pretty fun. I caught a fish only the first time. My camera's broken but I took some pictures with the Godins' camera and here are some of them...
So that was pretty fun. I also took a day trip with my billet parents to Marathon and looked for Mini Eggs (they were all sold out). Marathon has more stores, a swimming pool and arena and stuff, but other than that there is not really much else to do. One very cool thing is a road in between White River and Marathon: we saw it on our way to Marathon the first time and thought it was pretty awesome, and then on the way with my billet parents, they told me that my billet dad built the road!! You will understand how totally awesome that is when you see the picture of the road sign.... Here it is.

Yessss Yellow Brick Road!! Anyway, that was pretty cool. Other news to report is that the weather here is out of control. See how it is in those last two pictures? All the snow was pretty much melted on Tuesday. On Wednesday, all that changed. We got hit by a huge storm that blew across from Thunder Bay area. Now, we're basically back to mid-winter and there are some spots where the snow is up to my chest. Ridiculous!! This is out the front window at my billet house.. (Note the Easter decorations inside, but the truck covered with snow outside...)

So that's about it. Aside from the fact that this is the longest winter of my life, everything is pretty good. As of April 15th, we'll be exactly half-way done the program. And my mom should be here soon!! Yippeee, I can't wait to see my momma!!
4 comments:
Lovely lovely lovely.
Did you have any good Easter surprises with Mom??
HEEEY AMANDA HUNTER,
I've been reading your blog for months now and have put off posting my own message all this time! So, now that I've sat down at my computer here to work on numerous assignments that I have due in the next couple of days (which I have kind of left to the last minute) I have decided that it is an excellent time to finally get to leaving my own message (procrastination is a hard habit to break it seems).
Well, I am so happy that you're out there having this experience! It seems like an awesome program... it sounds like a good balance between the touristy stuff and the feeling of actually knowing these towns through living and working there. It's amazing how many people don't get to see or know parts of our own country (myself included). You, however, seem to be getting a pretty good crash course! Anyways, what I'm tryyyying to say, I think, is that I'm so stoked for you! I hope everything continues to go well for you in the second half of your year!
Take care,
Erin
Yesssss! White River is an amazing little town. I'm so lucky to have been able to go there. The snow was so cool and the below zero temps were cool too! I really liked the great workout gym - such a good idea for a small town! White River is especially nice because it now has my lovely Amanda in it -not to mention all her housemates who are very cool, positive people!
I had so much fun visiting you, Amanda and meeting all your friends. I think that your billet parents are wonderful and caring, too!
Mostly, I'm impressed by the unselfish attitudes that Katimavik participants demonstrate by offering their time and efforts towards improving each community in which they work. What a great thing! And...they do it for little recognition on their parts. It's truly commendable! Congratulations to you all.
Thanks for showing me such great hospitality, Amanda and friends! I hope the turkey isn't all gone yet and that you haven't forgotten the Salsa moves. Keep on dancing!
Love always, Mom
Oh my gosh - that was crazy! Erin and I left our messages at exactly the same time. Very cool. Hi Erin!
Post a Comment