Well.. I was helping to teach a very beginner class (yesterday) for about 4 to 8 year olds, so it wasn't really dancing, but even the chance to do a little bit of the bar exercises and movements is great after being away from it for so long. The teacher is from Baddeck, a nearby community, but originally from Paris, France. She started her dancing career and trained in Paris a long time ago. Now she teaches in a few different communities in the area and puts together a show by choreographing the groups separately and bringing them together just days before the show!! It's amazing, and the shows are apparently brought together really well too. Last year they put on the Jungle Book, and just yesterday they started choreography for this year's show - the Toy Shoppe. (Sound familiar!?)
The kids there are great... some are a little hyperactive, but that's to be expected. The age range is so huge, so I thought that there would be a huge gap between abilities, but it's not really so bad. Also, the room they use is just a big centre with hardwood floors - no bar or mirror. So the girls aren't distracted by the mirror like the ones at Rainbow.
Anyway... it was great to be in the dance class atmosphere and all that again, but maan, did it make me miss home. I was so lucky to have danced all those years I miss everything about Rainbow - the studio, the teachers, the dancing, and most of all the good times with my dance girls. I'll always be able to go back to dancing, but the atmosphere and company will never be the same. Those were the good old days.
The kids there are great... some are a little hyperactive, but that's to be expected. The age range is so huge, so I thought that there would be a huge gap between abilities, but it's not really so bad. Also, the room they use is just a big centre with hardwood floors - no bar or mirror. So the girls aren't distracted by the mirror like the ones at Rainbow.
Anyway... it was great to be in the dance class atmosphere and all that again, but maan, did it make me miss home. I was so lucky to have danced all those years I miss everything about Rainbow - the studio, the teachers, the dancing, and most of all the good times with my dance girls. I'll always be able to go back to dancing, but the atmosphere and company will never be the same. Those were the good old days.

2 comments:
awwwwww... I love you little sis. I'm glad that you got to dance with the kiddies. Hunter's been taking some sweet lessons from a not-so-great teacher, me. Can you teach him when you come home?
Dancing is a lifelong joy! You gotta believe it - it's true! It's so nice to hear that you treasure your dancing memories from Rainbow so much and that you can share your talents and appreciation with others. (That sounds like 'teacher talk' - sorry about that!) Anyway, you get what I mean, don't you? Your Dad and I are taking Latin dance lessons and are really enjoying it! It's so fun and we're getting pretty good (if I don't say so myself) One of the other dancers asked us if we had been practising all week. But no, we hadn't. Just naturally tuned to each other - I like to think! The fun with dancing never ends! Love you so much! Mom
Post a Comment